atlantic salmon hairwings for steelhead


Fresh from the lake
released minus lamprey

Roderick Haig Brown was one of the first anglers to bring atlantic salmon flies and fishing methods to the west coast for steelhead fishing. Atlantic salmon hairwings have evolved from the classic salmon patterns of the Victorian era. North American anglers substituted hair from deer, moose, squirrel, for the hard to acquire exotic feathers to recreate some of the popular European patterns.

A few classic low waters


Mr Brown , through his experience with atlantic salmon fishing was one of the first to make hairwings popular for steelhead. Although atlantic salmon and steelhead  swim at opposite sides of the continent, they do behave in similar ways. Thankfully for us atlantic salmon anglers, we can use these flies and methods if we are lucky enough to wet a line in a beautiful West Coast river or a Great lakes tributary.
My last visit to N.Y. state's Salmon River saw very low flows and clear water. The big Spey,Dee, and classic atlantic salmon flies I was swinging seemed to put the fish off more than entice a bite. Luckily I had been following the conditions throughout the fall and especially in the days prior to my November trip so I had packed a box of low water atlantic salmon hairwings in sizes 6 to 12. I'm glad I did!
Hairwing salmon flies

I was fortunate to find some water between pools where I could swing flies in the traditional manner. Casting and stepping down a run and hooking a few fish right before a long, cold winter was great! Although all the action brought attention and fishermen to my little run, all were respectful and looking for the samething I was. We shared the run and I shared a few hairwings. We all hooked a few fish and it was a great day!

Team effort

A highlight for me was when I fished a fly that my 3 year old son, Adriano tied. A raggy affair, but we both thought it was beautiful. So did the beauty of a steelhead that ate it not 2 casts later!

Adriano's magic fly!

Mr. Brown knew there was a place for atlantic salmon hairwings in steelhead fishing and proved their worth. But hairwings could have many uses for other fish species as well.
I really enjoy swinging a small Black Bear Green Butt or Silver Tip for trout in one of my favorite trout streams in early spring. A small black hairwing imitates a hatching early black stone fly remarkably well!
Or a small Copper Killer can imitate an October caddis come fall.
No matter what or how you fish, having a few hairwings handy will not only add another arrow to the quiver, but will also enhance your experience on the water.
He's getting good

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tying Atlantic Salmon Flies

Scientific Anglers TC Skagit Lines Review

GAELFORCE EQUALIZER G + 15' 10 WEIGHT REVIEW